About Academic Advising
What is academic advising at Virginia Tech?
Advising at Virginia Tech is a collaborative process between student and advisor empowering students to make informed academic and career decisions.
Virginia Tech demonstrates a commitment to advising through recognizing and supporting the needs of students and advisors. Each undergraduate student at the University is provided information and assistance, which aids the individual student in making responsible academic and career decisions. Each advisor is provided the necessary tools to respond to student needs and the opportunity to be recognized and rewarded for exemplary advising. Virginia Tech, in support of this philosophy will provide student focused advising and assist students in developing skills that lead them to take active responsibility for the advising process.
Statement of University Responsibility
Senior leaders will provide leadership by:
- Reviewing the advising process to assess the impact of the recommendations implemented;
- Providing information for students, advisors, parents, and other constituents that clearly explain responsibilities and expectations related to advising;
- Making information available about advising for all new faculty and appropriate staff;
- Collecting and disseminating information that contributes to effective advising;
- Assisting students in clarification of academic and long term goals;
- Supporting initiatives to enhance the use of technology in advising;
- Providing support for a web based interactive advising support system for students, advisors, parents, and other constituents; and
- Supporting a Virginia Tech plan that would effectively assess, recognize, and reward advising in the annual professional evaluation.
Statement of Student Responsibility
The student shares the responsibility for developing an advising partnership with the advisor. Over time, the partnership results in increased responsibility for the student. The student will:
- Communicating goals, needs, wants, and concerns to the advisor in a respectful and sincere manner;
- Keeping abreast of their own academic progress and requirements related to their academic program;
- Making, keeping, and being prepared for appointments with advisor;
- Informing the advisor of changes in plans and/or circumstances that might impact academic performance;
- Knowing departmental procedures for changing advisors; and
- Bringing concerns regarding quality of advising to the attention of the advisor
Statement of Advisor Responsibility
The advisor shares the responsibility for developing an advising partnership with undergraduate students. This is achieved through the advisor:
- Communicating with students and delivering individualized and accurate information in professional sincere manner;
- Being informed of, and providing accurate information about current academic policies and procedures;
- Keeping appointments and being available for assistance;
- Providing appropriate referrals, contacts, and information;
- Doing appropriate follow-up with students; and
- Seeking out and taking advantage of opportunities for professional development